A rich-looking Ionic façade with a Victorian profusion of details, including rusticated stone blocks. It seems to have been a stock model; an exact duplicate was built for the Wilson family in the Union Dale Cemetery.
This elegant Ionic mausoleum received its first residents in 1880. As a classical mausoleums go, it is unusually splendid, much more varied in texture than early-twentieth-century designs. Rusticated stone, smooth columns, polished-granite pilasters flanking the doorway, and even the unusually artistic letters that spell out the name “FOWNES”—all add to the impression of richness and complexity. But nothing seems out of place. Father Pitt considers this a good example of what was best in “Victorian” design.